Sunday, November 12, 2006

The New Do (More of the Same, Actually)


Well, after many, many weeks of putting it off, I finally got my self down to a hair salon. I usually put off getting a trim because I insist on getting moderately-expensive haircuts, but I'm too cheap to go as often as I should. Hence the "tsk, tsk" I can always expect the moment I sit down in the swirly chair and my stylist spots my ratty split ends. So besides the usual penny-pincher excuse, now I also have the whole language issue to contend with. I just wasn't sure I felt comfortable walking into a salon and putting my hair into the hands of someone who didn't know what I was saying. Granted I could just waltz into the local Aveda salon down in the ritzy part of town, but I that was definitely out of my price range. So I walked around one of the trendier HK neighborhoods looking for a reasonably priced salon and found one that looked friendly. Minutes after walking through the door, I was shampooed and sitting in the chair. Using lots of hand signals and with some help of another stylist who spoke some English, my new stylist and I worked out what I wanted. At one point I just pointed at him and look, "look, if you're good, do whatever you want." So he did. I sort of missed out on the usual chit-chat, but it did take off some of the pressure to converse that I occasionally feel in salons. (Not with my last stylist in Kansas, though--she was wonderful!) And I'm happy with the result. Probably because it looks pretty much like what I had before, only sleeker. No complaints here.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice. I got a new do too (New do, blue goo, sticky sticky blue goo). Your's looks lovely!

Anonymous said...

you're a very pretty lady, my friend.

Unknown said...

The first time I got my haircut in singapore I was so nervous, then some guy was washing my hair, and they don't wash it in the sink, they wash it as you are in the chair, and just keep piling it on top of your head.

Anyway, by the end it was such a bird's nest that the hair dresser could hardly brush it. It took 30 mins to comb it out....I was pissed. So was he, he kept yelling at the other guy who washed it!

But then the actual hair cut was good.

Laura said...

Beautiful! Make me wish I had straight hair!

kjl said...

It looks great! You always have that "just stepped out of a salon" look though, so I'm pretty sure your hair could never look bad!

We miss you guys!

Andi said...

you look so pretty! i've always loved your hair.

The Tilted Tulip said...

Thanks girls! Your nice comments did wonders after an unsuccessful afternoon of jeans shopping. Asian girls have NO hips--makes it hard for a curvy girl like me to find some that fit.

Andi said...

i have trouble finding jeans even in the chubby usa! they all seem to be made for pre-teens!

ireners said...

Gorgeous as ever!